Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Lending a Hand to Haiti

It is hard to image thousands of people perishing on a single day. Unfortunately, our country has experienced this in our recent history. Our neighbors on the island country of Haiti are experiencing it right now. I tried to describe to my students today that an earthquake can be devastating, but even more so when you don't have the proper structures, resources, and finances to stop or even aide the situation.



While at the University of Florida, my brother and I took Haitian Creole as our foreign language. I hate to admit that I don't speak a word of it almost ten years later. However, we both met some amazing students native to Haiti. They were hard workers and were truly living the American dream. I hope that they are okay, and that their families are okay.

If your family feels like lending a hand to our neighbors in Haiti, please check out the Red Cross website. I will be brainstorming for a way that our little humanitarians at Gilchrist can make something positive out of this terribly sad situation.

No comments: