Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Happy Bill of Rights Day!

Today we had some guests to help us celebrate Bill of Rights Day. What an important portion of the U.S. Constitution and I know I'm one American that is quite thankful for the part that these rights play to govern our society. Our special guests included Florida Supreme Court Justice Fred Lewis, Judge James Wolf from Florida's First District Court of Appeals, Annette Boyd Pitts who serves as the executive director of the Florida Law Related Education Association, and a team of lawyers. We had a lot of expertise for a LOT of questions posed by my fifth graders. After thoroughly reviewing the Bill of Rights, students were able to participate in a simulation. It got a little heated, but in the end I think they came out with a new understanding and respect for our Constitution including the Bill of Rights.

Judge Wolf explains some basic rights to a group of students.



Judge Lewis helps this group of students prioritize their rights.


So, what's your favorite right?

No comments: