Yesterday morning I woke up bright and early for my trip to the farmer's market. I was not looking for my usual...blueberries or tomatoes, this time I was in search of a colorful combination. You see each year I host a Back to School Brunch for the fifth grade team of teachers. We have two new members this year that we were excited to welcome. While munching on our delectable brunch options, Mrs. Berry said, "What is that?" She had used her tactile senses to feel one of the flowers in the assorted bouquet. I couldn't remember the name off the top of my head (looks like a brain), but just knew that it had the word comb in it. Well if they offered up medals in speed Googling or Wikipediaing then I could safely say I would place and be able to watch the American flag be raised to sounds of the national anthem! So "What is That?", it's scientific name is the Celosia cristata, also known as cockscomb. It is is said to look like a rooster, you know cock-a-doodle-do. It's an annual that grows in tropical conditions (welcome to Tallahassee) and each flower can produce over 40,000 seeds!
Sunday, August 9, 2009
What is That???
Yesterday morning I woke up bright and early for my trip to the farmer's market. I was not looking for my usual...blueberries or tomatoes, this time I was in search of a colorful combination. You see each year I host a Back to School Brunch for the fifth grade team of teachers. We have two new members this year that we were excited to welcome. While munching on our delectable brunch options, Mrs. Berry said, "What is that?" She had used her tactile senses to feel one of the flowers in the assorted bouquet. I couldn't remember the name off the top of my head (looks like a brain), but just knew that it had the word comb in it. Well if they offered up medals in speed Googling or Wikipediaing then I could safely say I would place and be able to watch the American flag be raised to sounds of the national anthem! So "What is That?", it's scientific name is the Celosia cristata, also known as cockscomb. It is is said to look like a rooster, you know cock-a-doodle-do. It's an annual that grows in tropical conditions (welcome to Tallahassee) and each flower can produce over 40,000 seeds!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment