Saturday, July 25, 2009

Out and About




Over the last week I have traveled to the Low Country of South Carolina, and down the quiet waters of the Wakulla River. Both were amazing trips, and make me smile at the thought of being an American (especially since I live in the southeast!). While in Charleston I visited Middleton Place Plantation, started in the mid 1700s by Henry Middleton (the president of the First Continental Congress...not too shabby!). The beautiful grounds have survived the Revolutionary War and the Civil War (remember Charleston was a hot spot during the Civil War). The grounds are covered with lush vegetation and roaming animals. Check out their web site http://www.middletonplace.org/default.asp.


This week we also headed down the Wakulla River on canoe. If you want a chance to see tons of manatees up close, this is the place to go! They amaze me every time I see them! We also saw alligators and turtles sunbathing, birds in flight, and fish swimming along. If you are suffering from Nature Deficit Disorder like my husband is, than grab a canoe and paddle!

No comments: