Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Creepy and Crawling to Beautiful



The older I get the more I am amazed by the science you can discover in nature. This is why I LOVE teaching science (this has not always been the case). I am thrilled when a child changes their bad opinion about science into a "this is cool" attitude. Late last week, our larva arrived (as you can see in the picture). Not much to look out, quite boring in fact. We left them alone for the weekend, and by day five (go ahead, look at the picture again) they are larva no longer. The caterpillars are scooting around their "home," and are allowing us to have a sneak peak into this wonderful springtime ritual. What a great way to learn! A big thank you to the Martin Family for sponsoring our butterfly experience and to Mrs. Crowell for organizing this bug extravaganza each year for our students!

No comments: